Reply To: OFFICE HOURS – Mon July 13th– Post Questions by Sun 12th @ 5pm EST

Homepage Forums Sprint To Profit Discussion OFFICE HOURS – Mon July 13th– Post Questions by Sun 12th @ 5pm EST Reply To: OFFICE HOURS – Mon July 13th– Post Questions by Sun 12th @ 5pm EST

Heather L
Participant

A question related to Amazon but my day job, not my own brand. I work for a food company and we sell branded food products into Grocery retail in the UK, Europe and the Middle East. Anything which is sold into Grocery retail outside of the UK and Ireland is sold via distributors. Our distributor in the UAE wants to sell our products on Amazon UAE. I have no problem with that, but Amazon is preventing him from selling and wants proof of GS1 registration which he has requested us to supply. I am not sure if I should give him this.

It’s our brand and fully trademarked in many countries in the world so in that sense we are protected, but I am concerned that by giving him proof of GS1 registration he may try to claim he’s the brand owner. Should I give him a copy of the GS1 registation or is it possible for us to register our brand on Amazon UAE (or even UK), but still allow him to sell our product on the Amazon platform there? Some of our products are being sold on Amazon UK (not by us) so I know that it’s possible to sell through Amazon, although I am not sure if this particular product is being sold.

Sorry, I know this isn’t strictly what we are doing, but I’m not sure who else to ask as we don’t have an inhouse legal team. I suppose I am trying to understand more about retaining brand ownership on Amazon, but still allowing other people to sell your product if they choose. It clearly happens all the time – Lego, Disney, Films etc, but I am unsure of the legal bits and pieces. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Heather L.