Reply To: request for feedback on my PAB

Homepage Forums Sprint To Profit Discussion request for feedback on my PAB Reply To: request for feedback on my PAB

Regan Blee
Regan Blee
Keymaster

Philippe,

OK, it’s good for you to focus on one product at a time so let’s talk about the pull up bar.  (I don’t really have an opinion on the Hula Hoops.  The numbers look so good that you should investigate it more but treating it as a second priority is probably wise for now).

Before I get started, I’d just like to say that I’m not sure that the forum is a place to get too deep into specifics of products and for coaches to give away too much personal knowledge of products, as the S2P coaching and this forum are really designed to teach you how to fish rather than the coaches just feeding you the fish.  So, I’ll answer some of your questions here plus give you some pointers of what to do, then it will be up to you to pursue further if that is OK.

Firstly, I think pull up bars are good products.  Up until the last year, entry into that market was hard for new sellers due to higher COG, and extra costs for being heavier and oversize (it didn’t fit the normal ASM product selection rules).  With the recent increase in sales price, new sellers are arriving (mainly Chinese sellers) – I’ve seen many sellers come and go because they didn’t have a well-defined brand, the right quality product or didn’t understand the product’s market.  So, if you do the S2P steps right and if your PAB numbers pan out, then you probably can get a good foothold in DE (note: amazon.com is now exceptionally hard to enter with pull up bars).

The way I see it, there are 3 main types of pull up bar:

1. The over the door type like https://www.amazon.de/Magnoos-Klimmzugstange-Befestigung-Schrauben-Reckstange/dp/B01L45V6HA/
  2. The expanding model with screw-in doormounts https://www.amazon.de/Klimmzugstange-Befestigung-Reckstange-Oberk%C3%B6rpertrainer-Griffbereich/dp/B06XRQ6C6C/
  3. the expanding with pressure mounting like https://www.amazon.de/UMI-Essentials-Verstellbare-Klimmzugstange/dp/B07G58NNWS/

The over the door type (1) seems like the COGs might be too high (I’m not sure).  It will be heavy and oversize which increases freight and fba fees a bit.  But that applies to all the types of pull up bars.

You firstly said you wanted to go with Number 2.  The bar is fairly simple but that can be a trap for young players as it is easy to assume that a generic version is fine.  It requires screw-in doormounts to be safe and secure.  These doormounts make it safer than other types of pull up bars – with proper installation and usage instructions, this type of bar is perfectly safe.  You said you might be able to source it for $3. That would be unwise because they will be cheaper materials, e.g. steel thickness, and likely to have poor production, e.g. expanding ends that get stuck.  Sourcing high-quality products is important or you’ll struggle with poor reviews.  I pay $6 to $7.50 but I’m happy to pay a premium for extra features, tighter quality controls and a trustworthy supplier who will jump through hoops to do whatever I want.

Type 3 is a new style which is becoming popular with sellers, especially chinese sellers.  It looks like it might be more expensive to source.  Friction/Pressure mounting doesn’t require screws but runs the bigger risk of the bar falling and people hurting themselves.  The outward pressure of the bar is also more likely to damage some doorframes.  (there is no way that I know that these risks can be mitigated).

If you have an interest in both 2 and 3, then I suggest that you should investigate both.  Get your Sourcing Agent on to looking for good suppliers of both types, get real-world COGs and then plug the numbers for both types into the PAB.
I also recommend that you do a thorough analysis of customer reviews for both types of bar.  This will provide a good feel of what customer like and, especially, what the problems are.  (Nb. Average ratings in the USA for established brands are 4.5 for type 2 and 4.0 for type 3).

As I mentioned, I’m not sure my place in the forum is to provide product insights but I hope the info I have provided is useful.  In the end, you are responsible for proper analysis and making an informed decision.

I’d be pleased to hear what you think and what the next actions that you plan to take are.